Medicare supplement plans fills in health costs with Original insurance. However, it doesn’t cover all health costs. You need to decide what types of health costs you need to be covered before buying Medigap to choose the right insurance for you.
Currently, there are 10 standardized Medigap plans, namely A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N. There is a high deductible version of plan F available as well. You can easily enroll in these plans in most states such as Massachusetts, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. it is worth stating here that each plan type have its own different set of standardized Medicare Supplement plans.
It is possible that the coverage levels and premiums vary, but benefits that each plan offer within a lettered category will remain the same despite the insurance provider or location. Let’s say, Plan A benefits are same in New Jersey as they are in Oregon. If a Medicare plan includes a certain benefit, it will cover 100% unless otherwise specified.
Following are general benefits that all Medicare Supplement plans offer-
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs ( up to an additional 1 year after Medicare benefits are used)
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment
- Blood (first 3 pints)
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
Find more here
Here coverage for Blood may be partial for some plans. Medigap Plan N covers the Part B coinsurance except for up to $20 copayment for some office visits. It also covers coinsurance except $50 copayment for emergency room visits that don’t result in an inpatient admission.
Some other common types of Medicare Supplement plans cover-
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges (that a non-participating provider may charge) Two Medicare supplement plans, called Plan K and Plan L offer an astonishing limit. Once your spending for Medicare covered services reaches a certain amount, the Medigap plan will cover 100% of Medicare-covered costs for the rest of the year. This is why it is enormously in United States, and could be suitable for you as well.